Search engine marketing is the technique of marketing a business using paid advertisements that come out on the SERPs. It is a process of gaining traffic on search engines. It is also called as “Search Marketing”.
Keywords are bid by the advertisers so that the users such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo! might enter when looking for certain products. Where the chances increase for the advertiser advt. To be clicked by the user. These ads are called as Pay Per Click ads which are available in various formats.
Some are small ads, text-based ads, whereas others are product listing ads which are more visual and they are commonly known as shopping ads. Which mainly flashes prices and reviews.
SEM’s(Search Engine Marketing) best part is that it provides advertisers the opportunity to display their ads in front of interested customers who are planning to buy at the precise moment they’re ready to make a purchase. This is the only advertisement medium who provides this service. This is the reason search engine marketing is so effective and a powerful way to grow your business.
SEM refers to paid listings, with the longer term of search marketing used to encompass both SEO and SEM. Let’s see some common terms used to refer SEM activities:
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
- PPC (pay-per-click)
- PPC (pay-per-call) – some ads, particularly those served to mobile search users, may be charged by the number of clicks that resulted in a direct call from a smartphone.
- CPC (cost-per-click)
- CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions)
Most search ads are sold on a CPC / PPC basis, but some advertising options may also be sold on a CPM basis.
The keyword is known as the foundation of Search Engine Marketing: As a user enters keyword according to his search query in a search engine to get the result they are looking for, it should come as little surprise that keyword from the basis of search engine marketing as an advertising strategy.
There are two types of keywords:
- Short tail keywords: Usually they are just one or two words in length, that drives traffic to your website These keywords are broad and are very responsible for bringing the majority of traffic through search engines, so they are called as short tail keywords.
- Long tail keywords: These keywords have generally keyword length of 4-5 with more specific search and traffic.
Few keywords will remain static, but other may change based on trend, news or own promotional input. Regular monitoring and testing will identify the term that most effectively converts people into customers, the price, and competition for every single keyword.
Create your search strategy
Before you start search engine marketing effectively be clear with long term and short term goal whether to star with paid or organic search. It takes time to increase organic search result, but whereas paid search can give faster-desired results. However, there is much other consideration of budget and your marketing objectives.
Follow these steps for effective search engine marketing:
- Generate a list of keywords
- Optimize your website
- Generate inbound links
- Implement additional internet campaigns
- Start testing paid search